Pages

August 18, 2010

The Humility of Calvin's Calvinism by Burk Parsons

The following is an excerpt from John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology edited by Burk Parsons

john-calvin-11[1]As the surest source of destruction to men is to obey themselves, so the only haven of safety is to have no other will, no other wisdom, than to follow the Lord wherever he leads. Let this, then, be the first step, to abandon ourselves, and devote the whole energy of our minds to the service of God. By service, I mean not only that which consists in verbal obedience, but that by which the mind, divested of its own carnal feelings, implicitly obeys the call of theSpirit of God.1? —John Calvin


It has not been my habit to refer to myself as a Calvinist; if memory serves, I have never done so, primarily because I don't think John Calvin would want me to. In fact, whenever another Christian asks me what I am (with the seeming hope of determining my particular denominational affiliation), I respond simply, "I am a Christian." Nevertheless, if I were ever truly pressed on the matter of being a Calvinist, I suppose I would respond by saying, "Yes, I am a Calvinist because I am a Christian, and I am a Christian because I believe the gospel."?

Continue reading the article here.

Thanks to Monergism ministry for providing and hosting the article. 

No comments: