Pages

July 19, 2010

The Titanic’s last hero: John Harper

A young Scotsman, who survived the tragic mishap, tells of an extraordinary story of how he was saved. He had been on the Titanic the night it struck the iceberg. Clinging to a piece of floating debris in the freezing waters, “suddenly",” he said, “a wave brought a man near, John Harper. He, too, was holding a piece of wreckage.

“He called out, ‘Man, are you saved?"’

“‘No, I am not’ I replied.

“He shouted back, ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.’

“The waves bore [Harper] away, but a little later, he was washed back beside me again. ‘Are you saved now?’ he called out.

“‘No,’ I answered. ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.’

“Then losing his hold on the wood, [Harper] sank. And there, alone in the night with two miles of water under me, I trusted Christ as my saviour. I am John Harper’s last convert.”

Taken from Moody Adams, The Titanic’s Last Hero: Story About John Harper (Columbia, SC: Olive Press, 1997), 24 – 25.

No comments: